- The parents meeting to discuss the realignment of the Troop because of size will be held on Sunday, September 10 at 7 PM. The meeting location has been set at the Joslyn Center.
- Youth and Adult Training for the new alignment will be on Tuesday, September 12 and Tuesday, September 19. Adult training will be at the Joslyn Center and youth training will be in the Scout House. SPL, ASPL, PL, APL, instructors, scribes, Patrol Coordinators, ASM, and Committee members will attend.
- The first Greenbar (Patrol Leader Council) under the new alignment will be on Thursday, September 21 at American Martyrs next to the O'Donnell Center.
- The fall Court of Honor is scheduled for September 26th at the O'Donnell Center. All Troop families are strongly encouraged to attend to support your scouts and their achievements.
- The Troop will sell Hamburgers at the Hometown Fair on October 7 and 8. Signup of parents and scouts are needed to run the booth. This is the only regular fund-raising activity of the Troop. Please sign up during the meetings at the Scout House. The Committee is looking for strong participation by parents of new scouts at the booth.
- The committee heard an excellent presentation from the four scouts that are planning and coordinating the Troop's Hometown Fair booth to fulfill the requirements of the Entrepreneur Merit Badge.
- October 24th will be a hike prep night for the Bike Hike on November 4 and 5. The reservation has been obtained at Chilao.
- The Troop has scheduled five Eagle Projects scheduled during September, October and November. Eagle candidates need to begin discussion of their projects early in the process to insure conflicts with the Troop Calendar are addressed.
- An Eagle Project was presented to the Committee for the weekend of September 23/24. The project scope, resources and plans needed to be formalized and documented. The Scout will work closely with the ASM for Eagle Candidates to quickly complete his planning.
- The committee reviewed an Eagle Scout candidate who will be reviewed by the District in October. The Committee endorsed the candidate.
- Guidelines for the Troop's Eagle Scout candidates have been drafted and are under review.
Discussions of Past Events
There were three major outings in August: summer camp at Emerald Bay, the
expedition to the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico and the Long Term Hike.
The successes, issues and lessons learned from each trip were discussed.
Summer Camp Planning
- The size of the Troop attending summer camp has become an issue. To reduce size and give a broader choice, the committee approved a motion that the Troop summer camps at two locations concurrently during the upcoming summer.
- The committee approved that a deposit be made for the Troop at Emerald Bay for next summer and that a second site be researched for reserving concurrent with Emerald Bay. Details regarding criteria for attendance at either camp need to be worked out in the coming months.
- Reservations for Philmont for the summer of 2001 were discussed. A group of parents will be needed in November for a phone bank if the Troop is to get a reservation.
Other Discussion Items
- Agenda for September 10 meeting
- 2001 Troop Calendar will be discussed at October and November committee meetings
- Uniforms at meetings
- New ASM - Quartermaster
- Development of second activity program as alternative to High Adventure (day-hikes, car-camping, etc.)
- Importance of Training Hikes, Labeling of personal equipment and hike prep checklists was discussed. Knowledge of personal rain gear during hike prep is needed.
- The District is holding scoutmaster training on 9/16 and 9/19.
Back to Troop Committee page
Contents of this page provided by Leigh Noda.
Made on Macintosh.
©2007 Boy Scout Troop 849, Manhattan Beach, CA. http://www.troop849.org/