- The bike hike to Chilao is scheduled for November 4 and 5. Hike preparations were made October 24. Participants will meet at 6 am on Saturday.
- A letter will go out shortly requesting payment for re-registration and voluntary donations to the Friends of Troop 849. Re-registration should be finalized by the end of November.
- The Greenbar (Patrol Leader Council) meeting will be 7:30 PM on Thursday, November 16 (3rd Thursday of the month) at the American Martyrs "School Hall" located on the campus of American Martyrs school (enter from the driveway on 15th St.). We would like to have all the Patrol Coordinators, SPL, ASPL, PL, APL, and Troop Guides attend this meeting.
- There are no Eagle projects scheduled for the remainder of the year.
- Plans are being made for the Night Hike on December 8-10 to Henninger Flats. Hike prep will be on December 5. Activities under consideration are advancement, service projects, wilderness survival, and merit badges.
- Publicity directed at Webelos scouts will begin soon for the rocket hike on January 20-21 at Saddleback Butte (or possibly a different location). The Troop invites second year Webelos from the Cub Packs to join this Hike.
- Group and Patrol meetings will be held on December 19 as this is the last week of school before winter break. The calendar will be corrected to show this.
- The committee reviewed an Eagle Scout project related to the Manhattan Beach Botanical Gardens. The Committee endorsed the project with two potential weekend dates in February.
Discussions of Past Events
- The two Eagle projects in October were completed.
- The Hometown Fair Hamburger booth raised over $2,000. The committee gives big thanks the scouts and advisors who organized the booth, and the volunteers who manned the booth.
Other Discussion Items
- The first month of Blue/Green activities was reviewed. It was noted there are still some "start-up" issues that chiefly revolve around improving communications. If there are issues or concerns regarding the new Troop alignment implementation, please bring them forth by notifying a Scoutmaster, the Committee Chair or by attending the next Troop Committee meeting.
- Reservations for summer camp are made at Emerald Bay in Catalina and Chawanakee in the Shaver Lake area for August 12 to 18. Details regarding criteria for attendance at either camp are being developed. Deposits for these camps will be required in January (first deposit = $100 per Scout).
- The committee approved an initiative to create a phone bank to secure a reservation at the Philmont Scout Ranch for the summer of 2002. Reservations will be accepted in mid November of this year and the Troop will attempt to secure reservations for two crews of 12.
- The 2001 Troop Calendar was discussed and an initial calendar was developed. The 2001 calendar will be finalized (to the extent possible) at December's committee meeting.
- Options for activities for next spring break were discussed. Based on past activities and ideas from the Greenbar, the Committee decided to have the Greenbar select two hike activities from Catalina, canoeing, Yosemite and fishing.
- The Troops finances were reviewed. To stay even with expenditures, the Troop will need to raise funds similar to the "Frys" event every year. The Frys event has not been a yearly activity in the past.
Back to Troop Committee page
Contents of this page provided by Leigh Noda.
Made on Macintosh.
©2007 Boy Scout Troop 849, Manhattan Beach, CA. http://www.troop849.org/