- The sign-up sheets will be available shortly for the Rocket Hike on January 20-21 at the Ricardo Campground in the Red Rocks area north of Mojave. The campground is more primitive than the Group Camp at Saddleback Butte. Hike prep night is the 16th. We welcome anyone wishing to campout Friday at the campground since the campsites cannot be reserved.
- The publicity directed at second year Webelo Scouts will be distributed for the Rocket Hike. The Troop invites second year Webelos and their parents from the Cub Scout Packs to join this Hike to introduce the Webelos to the Troop.
- The Eagle Project scheduled for the weekend of the 20/21 will be postponed.
- Signup sheets are out for the ski/snowboard trip on February 3. January 23rd is the last day to sign-up and pay so that we can prebuy the lift tickets at the Scout rate.
- The Cross Country ski trip for February 24/25 is on track. Accommodations will be at a cabin in Frazier Park or optionally a winter campout.
- The Eagle project scheduled for February 10/11 at the Manhattan Beach Botanical Gardens is on track.
- The committee is concerned about Eagle Scout candidates approaching the age of 18 without planning or scheduling his Eagle Project. The Troop Calendar is very full and it is very difficult to review, approve and schedule projects on short notice. Candidate Scouts are requested to keep this in mind.
Discussions of Past Events
- The Night Hike to Henninger Flats was very successful. The Wide Area Adventure Game for the weekend that had each Patrol demonstrating there Scouting skills was a real hit. The weekend raised a need to strengthen our orienteering skills, and to have an activities leader and a logistics leader on these trips.
- The re-registration process worked fairly well. Significant donations were made to the Friends of Troop 849, giving the Troop fiscal flexibility. In all, 92 scouts and 73 adults were registered.
Long Term 2001
- The venues for long term were discussed. The venues under discussion are a Trans Sierra Hike (9/10 days), will need to occur before Summer Camp to accommodate experienced scouts, and a shorter (5 day) hike for the less experienced scouts.
- The April outings were discussed. The leaders plan to revisit the possible venues at this months Greenbar.
- A class for the Swimming Merit Badge begins April 29 (Sunday, 1-3 PM) with following classes on April 29, May 6 and May 20. Troop 849, giving the Troop fiscal flexibility. In all, 92 scouts and 73 adults were registered.
- The working group to improve the Court of Honor will have its first meeting on Sunday, January 14 at 7:30 PM at the Chairman's House.
Other Discussion Items
- Adult Backpack Leader Training will be held February 23-25 in Long Beach off the 710 at Del Amo. All adult leaders who have not attended this training are encouraged to do so. Contact Dick Rose or Rich Hoesly for sign up and details.
- Interest for a Saturday workshop for the Citizenship in the Nation, and Citizenship in the Community is being sought.
- Signing off of the scout's advancement by their parents was discussed. It is Troop policy that the SIGN OFFS MUST BE BY SOMEONE OTHER THAN THE SCOUTS PARENTS. Merit badge signoffs must also be by a counselor other than a parent unless there are no other counselors available.
- We are implementing Two Deep Adult Leadership in the Troop and are looking for volunteers to serve as backups to the various adult positions in the Troop. Please notify us of your interest. Specifically, the Troop needs an Eagle Court of Honor Advisor and Service Hours Record Keeper due because our current advisor is moving out of the area.
- The Troop can use some equipment, especially backpacks, that can be used by the newer scouts who do not have the proper equipment. The committee discussed holding a Troop swap meet to "relocate" unused and surplus equipment.
The next Troop Committee Meeting will be Thursday, February 1st, 2001, at American Martyrs School at 7:30 PM.
Back to Troop Committee page
Contents of this page provided by Leigh Noda.
Made on Macintosh.
©2007 Boy Scout Troop 849, Manhattan Beach, CA. http://www.troop849.org/