- There are two hike weekends, June 8-10 and June 22-24. The hikes on June 8-10 will be to Valley Forge and to Trail Fork Springs. A third hike was cancelled because of low turnout even though a number of people need training hikes to participate in Long Term. Long Term participants need to go on three training hikes as a prerequisite for Long Term. There was interest in setting up one additional training hike weekend.
- Medical Exam night for summer camp and long term is Tuesday, June 12 at the Scout House.
- An advancement day is scheduled for Saturday, June 16, 9:30 to noon at the scout house. Advancement days are opportunities for scouts to work on and get signed off on advancement requirements.
- Also on June 16th is a Grandview Pride day at the remodeled Grandview School. Scouts who need service project hours for rank advancement are encouraged to help with this activity. Contact Gary McAulay if you plan on participating. Hours are from 9 am to 3 pm.
- We have an Eagle Court of Honor for Adam Young on Monday, June 25th at the O'Donnell Center.
- There will be a Patrol Cookout meeting on June 26th at Hermosa Valley Park from 6:30 to 9 PM.
- The training hikes for the weekend of July 20 to 22 are scheduled for Round Valley and Skunk Cabbage.
- A Patrol Coordinator Training Session is being scheduled. The date will be announced. (Note: This may not occur until September.)
- The Trans Sierra long term will leave on July 28 and return on August 6. A schedule for the group to plan their meals, pack their food and have pack inspection has been developed.
- The committee reviewed two Eagle Scout Candidates and approved their advancement to his Eagle Board of Review.
Discussions of Past Events
- The Troop raised over $1,000 during the Fry's event on May 18 and 20. Thanks to Fry's and everyone that took part.
- On Saturday, May 5, a Backpack Orientation was held at the Scout House to demonstrate the equipment that is available and what is necessary for successful backpacking. Attendance was good (~25 people) but not great as we still had equipment issues during our first hiking weekend in May.
- The first backpack weekend was May 19 and 20. We had three hikes and over 60 scouts and adults out on the trail.
- Advancement day on Saturday had 17 scouts taking part.
- The Eagle project on May 25-26 involved trail repair near Chantry Flats. The project was well attended and went well. There were a few reports of Poison Oak cases.
- Summer Camp Information Night for Chawanakee and Emerald Bay was held on Wednesday, June 6. Final payment was due at the meeting, and important program and logistical information was discussed.
Summer Camp 2001
- Emerald Bay is fully reserved with 30 scouts and there are spots open at Chawanakee where 32 scouts are signed up. The driver lists are being prepared to transport the scouts to the two summer camps. It was noted that summer camp participants are required to attend at least two Troop overnight activities (after joining the Troop) prior to attending summer camp.
Long Term 2001
- Sign-ups by scouts for the three long-term hikes have been good. It was noted that we would need additional adults on each of the hikes. We are shuffling the groups to accommodate everyone and to insure that our groups are equally strong.
- The subcommittee has been formed to review the requirements, qualifications and makeup of the Long Term Groups. This revives the review program that the Troop used in the past with a great deal of success. They are working on the long-
Other Discussion Items
- A subcommittee is being formed to look into ways to improve the transition of new scouts and parents into the Troop.
- The Troop will be sending at least four scouts to junior leader training July 15 to 21 at the Forest Lawn District Camp. The Scoutmasters will select the candidates.
- The application for a booth at the HomeTown Fair has been sent in. We have requested a Coke, Hot Dog or Hamburger Booth. We will receive word in August.
- A document describing the Troop's Eagle candidate requirements has been drafted and is out for review. (Comments should be sent ASAP to Don McLellan.)
- The next Rock Climbing Leaders class will be held September 12, 19 & 23 (field), & October 3. October 11 will be at the LA Rock Gym (a belay class is TBA) and October 16 will be hike prep for the October 19-21, Fall Rock Hike.
- Suggestions/ideas for improving the Troop are always welcomed and should be directed to the Committee Chairman or Asst. Committee Chairman.
The next Troop Committee Meeting will be Thursday, July 12th, 2001, at the School Hall, American Martyrs School at 7:30 PM.
[FYI - Please mark your calendars: The July committee meeting will be held on the second Thursday of July (7/12) instead of the first Thursday.]
Back to Troop Committee page
Contents of this page provided by Leigh Noda.
Made on Macintosh.
©2007 Boy Scout Troop 849, Manhattan Beach, CA. http://www.troop849.org/