Note that the January committee meeting will be the second Thursday, the 10th, due to the holidays, and the location will be the Parish House on 15th street next to the gym.
- There is an Eagle project on December 8 and 9. The project will build catch basins to provide water for wildlife.
- The Night Hike to Henninger Flats is on December 14 to 16. The 11th will be hike prep. Patrol competition is the hike theme.
- Re-registration of the Troop will take place on December 18th. We are still awaiting some notices and checks.
- The last Tuesday meeting of the year, December 18 will be a Troop Planning meeting for all the scouts. The meeting will initiate investigation of new activities for the Troop.
- The Rocket Hike is scheduled for January 12 and 13 at the Ricardo campground, Red Rock Canyon State Park. Plans were made to "occupy" the campsites since the reservations are not taken at Ricardo. The second year Webelos and Parents from the local Packs have been invited. Hike prep is on January 8.
- An Eagle Service Project is scheduled for January 26-27. All the scouts and parents are encouraged to participate.
- Summer Camp sign-ups and $100 deposits are due January 8.
- An Eagle Board of Review was held. The committee endorsed the candidate to proceed with the District Character Board Review.
Discussions of Past Events
- The bike hike to Chilao was successful. All agreed that the bike inspection format on the preceding Saturday was much more effective than to try to inspect on Hike Prep night.
- Eight scouts participated in the District's University of Scouting on January 8 and 9.
- We had an Eagle Project at the Camp Joan Neir. The projects had strong support from the scouts and parents.
Long Term 2002/Backpacking Subcommittee
- A subcommittee has been formed to review the guidelines, requirements, qualifications and makeup of the Long Term Groups. This revives the review program that the Troop used in the past with a great deal of success. If you are interested in serving on this subcommittee please contact Mike Vahey.
- We have three long term hikes planned for this year, including one to the Philmont Scout Ranch. Because of the summer camp schedule, one long term hike will concurrent with Emerald Bay.
Other Discussion Items
- The 2002 Draft Calendar was reviewed and approved with some changes to reflect updated information.
- The Summer Camp venues were discussed. Because of the weeks that are available to the Troop, the two camps will be at different times. Circle X near Lake Arrowhead will be July 28 to August 3, and Emerald bay at Catalina will be August 25 to 31. Flyers will be out in December with $100 deposits due on January 8th.
- The new scout transition sub-committee has scheduled meetings before the holidays to visit with the second year Webelo parents from Grandview, Pacific, American Martyrs and Meadows to give the Troop 849 overview. Pennekamp will be scheduled.
- Suggestions/ideas for improving the Troop are always welcomed and should be directed to the Committee Chairman or Asst. Committee Chairman.
The next Troop Committee Meeting will be Thursday, January 10th, 2002, at the Parish House, 659 - 15th Street next to American Martyrs gym at 7:30 PM.
Back to Troop Committee page
Contents of this page provided by Leigh Noda.
Made on Macintosh.
©2007 Boy Scout Troop 849, Manhattan Beach, CA. http://www.troop849.org/