As our Troop has grown and dealt with growing pains, the Troop Committee has concluded that its structure must be changed in order to be effective in governing and responding to the needs of the Troop. During the next month or two, we will be making a transition to subcommittees for detailed discussions and development of the program elements, and a Troop committee for review and approval of the recommendations and actions of the subcommittees. With this structure, there will be more opportunities for scout parents to contribute to the Troop as members or leaders of the functional sub-committees. The precise structure will be announced soon.
- An Eagle Service Project is on the calendar for February 23-24. The committee noted that the Eagle Candidate would need to schedule a review of his project with the Eagle Scout Coordinator, Senior Scoutmaster and members of the Troop Committee before his project can be approved to proceed to District review.
- The Cross Country Ski Hike to Mt. Pinos is scheduled for February 23. The event has been changed to a one day outing instead of an overnight. Hike prep will be on February 19.
- The Order of the Arrow elections will be held on February 19.
- Adult Backpack Leader Training will be held on February 15-17 at the Will J. Reid Scout Park in Long Beach. Adults are encouraged to become certified High Adventure Team Leaders. The Troop is now required to have a HAT certified adult on each backpack trip, and the troop has relatively few HAT trained adults.
- An Eagle project is scheduled for March 9-10. The committee noted that our Eagle candidates need to get their projects fully approved well in advance (more than three weeks) before their projects are scheduled.
- The Shotgun Outing is targeted for Saturday or Sunday March 9 or 10. Final arrangements are being made. An announcement will be made when the plans are finalized.
- The Spring Rock Hike is scheduled for March 22-24 at Joshua Tree. Sign-up sheets are available and are filling quickly. The Rock Climbing Instructor course will not be held until the Fall. March 20 is the night at the Rock Gym and belay training will be available.
- The Spring Court of Honor is scheduled at 7:30 PM on Tuesday, March 26 at the O'Donnell Center.
- New Parent orientation is scheduled for 6:30 at the American Martyrs School Hall on March 7 prior to the committee meeting. We are considering a second session because of conflicts affecting Pack 713/287.
- A special Youth Protection for the Troop adults is being scheduled. An announcement will be made when arrangements are finalized.
New Activities past March
- Backpack equipment orientation for parents is scheduled for Saturday, April 13 at 9AM to 12 NOON at the scouthouse.
- A Sportfishing outing will be scheduled on June 15 with Redondo Sportfishing. The cost is expected to be about $25.
- The Catalina hike is scheduled for April 5 to 7. There are 14 scouts and adults currently signed up. Twenty are needed to get a group rate for the boat transportation.
- An Eagle Board of Review was held. The committee endorsed the candidate to proceed with the District Character Board Review.
Discussions of Past Events
- The Rocket Hike to the Ricardo campground at Red Rock Canyon State Park was successfully held on January 12/13. Well over 100 people participated on the hike. Several notes have been circulated to help plan for next years' hike.
- An Eagle project was performed on January 25 and 26. The project painted playground equipment at Manhattan Heights and Marine Parks, and painted rooms at the Manhattan Heights and Live Oak Recreation Centers. There was a good turnout of scouts and parents (about 40-45) on both days.
- The annual Ski/Snowboard Hike to Mountain High was held on Saturday, February 2nd. 28 scouts participated in the outing.
Long Term 2002/Backpacking Subcommittee
- We have three long term hikes planned for this year, including one to the Philmont Scout Ranch. Because of the summer camp schedule, one long term hike will be concurrent with Emerald Bay. The hikes will have to be defined to make the reservations on March 1.
Other Discussion Items
- The Summer Camp programs are developing. We have 26 scouts signed up for the 32 spots at Emerald Bay and 23 scouts for the 32 spots at Circle X.
- Suggestions/ideas for improving the Troop are always welcomed and should be directed to the Committee Chairman or Asst. Committee Chairman.
The next Troop Committee Meeting will be Thursday, March 7th, 2002, at The School Hall, at American Martyrs School at 7:30 PM.
Back to Troop Committee page
Contents of this page provided by Leigh Noda.
Made on Macintosh.
©2007 Boy Scout Troop 849, Manhattan Beach, CA. http://www.troop849.org/