- The Troop re-registration process has begun. Letters will be sent to the scout families to respond and enclose the 2003 dues. Notes will be included to those scouts who did not meet the goals of one overnight backpack trip, two additional overnight trips and twelve or more service hours with the troop.
- The Fall Bike Hike was held on November 2/3. We camped at Malibu Creek State Park. Rode bikes at the Paramount ranch on Saturday and at Sycamore canyon on Sunday. 15 scouts and 7 adults participated.
- Plans are being made for Troop participation in the Manhattan Beach Veteran's Day activities on November 11. Scouts are to meet at 10:45 AM in their class A uniforms in front of the Josyln Center. Pizza will be available afterwards.
- The rescheduled Patrol Coordinator training will be held on Tuesday, November 26th.
- The Eagle Project to relocate the Murals from the Metlox property to Polliwog Park will be postponed because of work being done by the city at Polliwog.
- The Night Hike on December 13 to 15 may be made to Henninger Flats since the recent rain may have allowed the Angeles National Forest to be opened.
- On December 9th we will organize a phone in tree to secure reservations at the Philmont Scout Ranch for the summer of 2004.
Discussions of Past Events
- We had a very successful Hometown Fair fundraising effort. Thanks to all the scouts and adults who volunteered to work the booths. An especially big thanks goes to our three booth coordinators.
- We had a number of scouts run the Hometown Fair 10k on Saturday morning. A number of scouts could not participate because of a Mira Costa Cross Country meet that Saturday.
- We had a successful Fall Rock Hike to Joshua Tree on October 18 to 20. About 50 scouts and adults participated. The Eagle Court scheduled for October will be cancelled. We are looking to possibly holding an Eagle Court on November 17th.
Committee Chairman Report
- We have had a committee member who joined the Troop in 2002 step forward to organize and coordinate the rocket hike in January. It is great to have new people step forward to lead our activities.
- The monthly adult leaders' breakfast has been established on the third Thursday of each month at 7 AM at the Kettle in Downtown Manhattan Beach.
- The opportunities and training of youth leadership was discussed. The scoutmasters will make this a focus of upcoming meetings.
- The meeting on December 3rd will be used to discuss the 2003 calendar and solicit ideas for activities from the scouts.
- Communications Subcommitee - The first pass calendar for 2003 was handed out and discussed.
Other Discussion Items
- HAT (High Adventure Team) Backpack Leader Training for Troop 849 adults was discussed. The District HAT training is tentatively scheduled for the weekend of February 14 to 16, 2003. We are investigating our options to have our own training for Troop adults. It was noted that past history shows we have been able to add only one or two new hike leaders a year. Because of the number of hikes and weekends we are now doing, we need to add at a higher rate than in the past.
- We are encouraging all parents and scouts to sign-up for our broadcast system at firstname.lastname@example.org. We need to use this system to communicate more thoroughly and completely because of the size of the Troop. If you are not on the list, please sign up by going to www.troop849.org/homeMailingList.html.
- Suggestions/ideas for improving the Troop are always welcomed and should be directed to the Committee Chairman or Asst. Committee Chairman.
The next Troop Committee Meeting will be Thursday, December 5th, 2002, in the School Hall, American Martyrs School at 7:30 PM.
Back to Troop Committee page
Contents of this page provided by Leigh Noda.
Made on Macintosh.
©2007 Boy Scout Troop 849, Manhattan Beach, CA. http://www.troop849.org/