- The Troop re-registration process has finished. Letters were sent to the scout families to respond and enclose the 2003 dues. Notes were included to those scouts who did not meet the goals of one overnight backpack trip, two additional overnight trips and twelve or more service hours with the troop.
- The Night Hike on December 13 to 15 will be to Henninger Flats since the recent rain has allowed the Angeles National Forest to be reopened with the reduced fire danger. Hike prep will be on December 10th.
- Our Eagle project to relocate the Murals from the Metlox property to Polliwog Park will be continued this weekend (December 7 & 8).
- We will be holding meetings with the second year Webelo parents this month to discuss the transition to Boy Scouts and selection of a troop, introduce them to Troop 849 and our program, and to invite them to the rocket hike in January.
- Plans are being made for the Rocket Hike at Red Rock Canyon State Park on January 11 and 12. With the Webelos and their parents as our guests, we will emphasize that all scouts act as hosts.
Discussions of Past Events
- A number of scouts participated in the Manhattan Beach Veteran's Day activities on November 11. Scouts led the pledge of allegiance and the flag ceremonies.
- We had a good patrol coordinator training session with good attendance on November 26th. We plan on scheduling the next session to include the adults from the bridging Webelos.
- Our phone in tree to secure reservations at the Philmont Scout Ranch for the summer of 2004 was successful. We have 15 spots reserved for a nine-day trek beginning August 10, 2004. The committee asked that a Philmont plan be developed with a timeline targeted to fill out our reservations by the end of 2003.
Committee Chairman Report
- We have had a committee member who joined the Troop in 2002 step forward to organize and coordinate the rocket hike in January. It is great to have new people step forward to lead our activities.
- The monthly adult leaders' breakfast has been established on the third Thursday of each month at 7 AM at the Kettle in Downtown Manhattan beach.
- Several scouts and parents will be attending the University of Scouting on December 7 to 8.
- The opportunities and training of youth leadership was discussed. The scoutmasters will make this a focus of upcoming meetings.
- Communications Subcommittee - The calendar for 2003 was finalized.
Other Discussion Items
- We are encouraging all parents and scouts to sign-up for our broadcast system at email@example.com. We need to use this system to communicate more thoroughly and completely because of the size of the Troop. If you are not on the list, please sign up by going to www.troop849.org/homeMailingList.html.
- Suggestions/ideas for improving the Troop are always welcomed and should be directed to the Committee Chairman or Asst. Committee Chairman.
The next Troop Committee Meeting will be Thursday, January 9th, 2003, in the School Hall, American Martyrs School at 7:30 PM.
Back to Troop Committee page
Contents of this page provided by Leigh Noda.
Made on Macintosh.
©2007 Boy Scout Troop 849, Manhattan Beach, CA. http://www.troop849.org/